Thursday, June 3, 2010

Notes for June 3rd

Oh boy.  I totally hadn't gone through my feed reader in awhile.  Here's all the papers I think look interesting  (I haven't read them all, and I'm sure I missed some):
  • I already didn't like cattle.  Now it turns out they may be literally trampling on native trout.  Ok, I don't really like trout either, but natives are fine.
  • And this is why I'm not a big trout fan:  Where they've invaded, they have devastated local species populations.  Including New Zealands' galaxiidae.
  • Using game theory to understand and improve decision-making in conservation biology.
  • I actually sorta need to see this paper, on the effectiveness of species recovery plans and how to quantify that.  They've used the loggerhead sea turtle as an example there, but I want to know what the approach is.
  • Pitcher plant ecology is pretty cool.  I'm not ecologists pay enough attention to the ecosystems that occur within other organisms.  Plus, I should direct some attention to a fellow Domer.
  • Managed relocation is the movement of species in anticipation of climate change to prevent them from going extinct.  Or, you could put it another way:  Intentional introductions of non-indigenous species.  A lot about how you feel about this idea is wrapped up in which way you look at that activity.  Regardless, it is likely to become a big argument.
  • Tree stoichiometry.  Haven't read this one yet, but anything with stoichiometry is cool.  From the abstract, it sounds like more support for the Growth Rate Hypothesis.
  • I just don't think it sounds right to describe the place where a terrifying shark produces new terrifying sharks as a nursery.  Spawning ground or breeding ground sound more appropriate somehow.  At least we're talking about an extinct shark (Megalodon).
Oh, and apparently someone else just discovered the solenodon, and has a platform to write ridiculous things about it.

No comments: