Monday, March 22, 2010

Notes for March 22nd

  • Why does asparagus make your pee smell funny?
  • A cool paper, interpreted by GrrlScientist (on Nature?).  Whoever GrrlScientist is, she is awesome.  I seriously love the way she 'translates' papers.  I couldn't possibly encourage you enough to go read a lot of what she's written.  Which is why it amazes me that she apparently is "under employed".  Man, if she can't make it...who the hell can?  Actually, now that I go look for the link to here discussing being under employed, I think it is no longer present.  So maybe she's now got something permanent?  Yay!
  • New velociraptor-esque species of dinosaur found.  YES!  Although I am sometimes really glad I didn't live in the late cretaceous.  Although other times I wish I could have seen some of these things in real life.
  • I concur, this is one of the most awesomely named papers everAssessing the apparent imbalance between geochemical and biochemical indicators of meso- and bathypelagic biological activity: What the @$musical sharp! is wrong with present calculations of carbon budgets? (via Deep Sea News, which includes discussion/explanation)
  • For some reason the formatting of this post has been all wacky.  So I'm stopping right here before it gets worse.  At least right now it is borderline legible.

    No comments: