Monday, February 15, 2010

Notes for Feb 15

  • I'm not sure I totally understand this mechanistically, but it seems interesting that an antibiotic can cause bacteria to become resistant to other antibiotics. And by interesting, I mean that sucks!
  • So someone looked at the genome of an ancient human (4,000 years old..so not pre-historic) found in Greenland, and discovered the genome is most similar to people living on the eastern edge of Siberia, and bears little relationship to the Native Americans or Inuit living elsewhere in the new world. And apparently he has a terrible haircut.
  • I'm sure this study is interesting for a variety of reasons, but I really can't get past the fact that we're talking about a four-winged dinosaur here. Read more here. Did birds start out four-winged before graduating to two wings?
  • A catchy title ("The importance of stupidity") tricks me into reading this pdf every three months or so. Is it really that good though? I don't know. I think there's a lot of playing around with semantics here. I never felt stupid as a graduate student or a postdoc, just frustrated or amazed. Frustrated when things didn't work out because of stuff I did (human error) and amazed when things didn't work out because that's just not how things work (disproving a hypothesis). Funnily, I can't recall ever feeling astonished that something worked out exactly as I planned.

No comments: