Monday, October 17, 2011

Interesting papers: The search for paleo-shoreline caves, burning through carbon reduces N accumulation, and more!

  • I'm not going to lie.  This paper, on how increasing temperature affects nutrient ratios, is in my queue, but I haven't read it yet.  So I shouldn't try to briefly tell you how amazing it looks or that I think it is great...because theoretically it might not be.  But here I am, telling you I think it looks really interesting and I can't wait to read it!
  • I'm fascinated by predator effects that don't involve the predator actually touching or directly interacting with the prey.  I'm particular fascinated by this in stream ecosystems, where I would assume the "smells" of predators would be pretty quickly diluted, but it seems like these effects continue regardless.  At any rate, here's a neat paper on "non-consumptive" effects of predators.  The authors point out, these aren't necessarily non-lethal
  • This article on the search for paleo-nearshore caves in Bermuda is really fascinating.  Kinda amazing how many areas we really still don't know much about. 
  • I've never heard of the term "brown world" used to describe heterotrophic ecosystems before, but I guess it makes sense.  Also very interesting to see that removal of a top predator in this kind of ecosystem apparently doesn't do anything.   
  • Ok.  Really, I haven't read any of these papers in detail yet.  I'm just skimming them and pointing out how interesting they look.  When I read through these, I may include detailed reviews on a few of these.

No comments: